The PlayStation 5 (PS5) caused quite a stir in the gaming community. However, it ran into some difficulties shortly after its release. The feared drift issue has been observed by a number of DualSense PS5 controller users. This is comparable to the drift issue that the DualSense 4 controller had. If you’re having problems with controller drift, you’ve come to the correct spot. In this post, we’ll show you how to fix the PS5 controller drift issue. Let’s get started.
Have a look at the 5 Best Sony PS5 Controller Charging Stations
What is PS5 DualSense Controller Drift
So, before we go over all the solutions that will assist you in resolving the PS5 controller drift issue, let’s first define what controller drift is. Controller drift is a phenomenon in which the console captures movements or actions even when the player does not touch the controller button.
Now, according to several user accounts, this is the same issue that the PS5 DualSense controller has. So, if your player or in-game character moves or aims without you touching the controls, your PS5 controller is suffering from drift.
But, before you go out and spend another $70 on a new controller, we recommend that you read over the list of alternatives presented in this article.
Do you know the How to Change PS5 DNS Settings for a Better Experience?
Solutions to Fix PS5 Controller Drift Issue
Now that we know what the drift issue on the PS5 controller is, let’s look at several options for resolving it.
1. Reset Your DualSense Controller
Let’s start with one of the most straightforward solutions: resetting your PS5 controller. It’s important to understand that resetting the controller entails more than merely turning it on or off.
- Turn the PS5 console off.
- At the rear of the controller, there is a little reset button in the form of a tiny hole.
- To push it inside the hole, you can use a pin or a little pointed instrument.
- To initiate a reset, you may need to hold the pin within the hole for roughly 3-5 seconds.
- Now, using a USB cable, connect the controller to the PS5 console and hit the PS button.
2. Keep Your PS5 and PS5 Controller Updated
Sony, like any other developer, releases updates for the PS5 on a regular basis to keep the console and controller up to current. 20.02-02.50.00 is the most recent firmware version (at the time of writing this article). On Sony’s website, you may find the most recent PS5 system update software information. You can also manually check for updates by following the methods outlined below.
- To begin, go to Settings > Network.
- Under the Settings menu, disable to Connect to the Internet option.
- Go to Settings > System > Date and Time to change the date on your PS5.
- Connect the PS5 DualSense controller via USB to the PS5 console.
- Restart the PS5 and make sure it’s up to date.
3. Clean Your DualSense Controller
Not only do you need to clean your body, but you also need to clean your machines on a regular basis. If you play PS5 games for long periods of time without cleaning them, sweat and debris can build up within the controller. I’m not sure how they get inside the controller, but they do.
Using a cotton swab to clean the PS5 controller is the best and safest technique to get rid of the drift issue. It’s also effective when combined with rubbing alcohol and compressed air. One of the most important things to remember is that you should turn off the DualSense controller before cleaning it.
4. Reset Bluetooth
If the drift issue persists after thoroughly resetting the PS5 controller, you can also try resetting the Bluetooth. To diagnose the problem and begin your return, you must answer all the questions. If you purchased PS5 from a retailer, you must first contact that retailer.
- By pressing the cog icon, you may access the Settings menu.
- To get started, go to Accessories > General.
- Within the General page, there will be an option to switch off Bluetooth.
5. Return PS5 Controller for Repair
If none of the home remedies work, you should see a doctor as a final resort. If your PS5 controller is drifting, send it back to Sony for repair or replacement if it is still under warranty. The return procedure is straightforward, and you must visit the PlayStation.com Fix and Replace website. To diagnose the problem and begin your return, you must answer all the questions. If you purchased PS5 from a retailer, you must first contact that retailer.
Wrap Up: Fix PS5 Controller Drift Issue
So, there concludes my contribution to this topic. Please note that we have attempted to cover practically all of the possible remedies for resolving the PS5 controller drift issue. You can also contact Sony tech support to report the drift issue as soon as you notice it.